Travel Advice


Limits on public gatherings for coronavirus (COVID-19)  

Public gatherings significantly increase the risk of COVID-19 spreading. On 29 March the National Cabinet agreed to further limit most indoor and outdoor non-essential gathering to two (2) people. Rules on essential gatherings are also in place. Find out what limits apply.

You should not leave your campground or caravan park unless: 

  • going to work 
  • shopping for essential supplies such as groceries, must return to your campground or caravan park immediately
  • going out for personal exercise, must maintain the 1.5m social distancing rule
  • attending medical appointments

Prohibited gatherings

The WA Government has issued “Prohibited Gatherings Directions” (31/3/20) to prohibit certain gatherings in order to prevent, control or abate the serious public health risk presented by COVID-19 by limiting the spread of COVID-19. 

A prohibited gathering means: 

(a) a gathering of more than two (2) persons in a single undivided indoor space or a single undivided outdoor space that is a public place at the same time; or 

(b) a gathering of two (2) or more persons in a single undivided indoor space or a single undivided outdoor space at the same time, where there is not at least 4 square metres of space for each person at the gathering, 

but it does not include any of the exempted gatherings.  

Exempted gatherings relate to essential services to allow them to continue and include public transport, retail shops, office buildings, accommodation facilities and any gathering involving only the members a single household.  

A household means 2 or more persons who usually reside at the same place, irrespective of whether they are related to each other. Social distancing must be strictly maintained other than for those who are members of the same ‘household’. WA Police will make the final determination on who is of the same household where there is doubt. 

Penalties are enforced by WA POLICE: 

It is an offence to allow, organize or attend a prohibited gathering in the State of WA and penalties for doing so without a reasonable excuse can be up to $20,000 for individuals and $100,000 for bodies corporate.  

Prohibition on Intrastate Travel 

To assist in reducing the spread of COVID-19, the WA Government has introduced restrictions on travel within Western Australia. Western Australians are no longer allowed to travel outside their designated region. 

Western Australian intrastate travel is defined as movement through the boundaries of the regions of Western Australia. 

These regions are:

  • Perth and Peel (due to their proximity, the Perth and Peel regions will form one region)
  • South West
  • Great Southern
  • Goldfields-Esperance (stronger restrictions apply to the Shire of Ngaanyatjarraku)
  • Mid-West
  • Wheatbelt
  • Gascoyne
  • Pilbara (stronger restrictions apply to parts of the Shire of East Pilbara)
  • Kimberley (stronger restrictions apply to the entire Kimberley region).

Exemptions apply for:

  • people travelling to work
  • attending medical appointments
  • transporting freight
  • those who do not have access to groceries or supplies within their region
  • returning to a place of residence
  • attending school or an educational institution where necessary
  • catering for family members
  • compassionate grounds.

Check points and mobile police patrols are in place to monitor travel across boundaries and ensure people are doing the right thing.

If you believe you fall under an exemption category AND are required to travel between these regions you will need to prepare documentation to present to police at the regional check points. This documentation can be a letter/email/SMS from an employer, that supports the legitimate travel.

For more information view the Prohibition on Regional Travel Directions

Penalties are enforced by WA POLICE:  

It is an offence to fail to comply with any of these directions, punishable by a fine of up to $50,000 for individuals and $250,000 for bodies corporate.  

Trespass – Seeking work on local plantations

Those who are seeking work on plantations are required to obey the signs at the front of agricultural properties. This includes the ‘no work, no entry’ signs. If you disobey these signs, it is classed as trespassing and the Police may be called.  

What the law states to WA law for Trespassing:

According to WA Law for the charge of Trespass: Section 70A: A person who, without lawful excuse, trespasses on a place, is guilty of an offence. 

“Trespass” on a place is defined in the Criminal Code to mean:  

  • To enter or be in the place without the consent or licence of the owner, occupier or person having control or management of the premises. 
  • To remain in the place after being requested by a person in authority to leave the place; or 
  • To remain in the part of the place after being requested by a person in authority to leave that part of the place.
Penalties are enforced by WA POLICE:  

According to WA Law for the charge of Trespass - The maximum penalty is 12 months’ imprisonment and a fine of $12,000. 

If you are in the region seeking work, please use the following website:  


Please observe the latest travel and health advice from the Australian Government.  

Do not travel to regional or rural areas of Western Australia without first obtaining employment. 

Your search for work DOES NOT negate your civic responsibility to follow the health guidelines outlined by the Federal and State Governments.  


Join the Australian Government’s new WhatsApp Information Service by visiting  


Call this number if you are seeking information on Coronavirus (COVID-19). The line operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week- 1800 020 080.  


Breaches of self-isolation or gathering requirements can be reported to the special Police hotline - 131 444.