The answers to the following frequently asked questions supplied by the Department of Home Affairs may address your Citizenship inquiry:


When you have been scheduled to attend a ceremony you will receive an invitation by mail approximately 2 – 4 weeks before the date of your ceremony.


Generally, ceremonies are scheduled within three months of approval but waiting periods vary. Waiting times for citizenship ceremonies in Perth councils are currently 4 – 6 months and are longer in some council areas. The Department appreciates your patience and asks that you wait to receive an invitation to your ceremony.


Applicants for Australian citizenship must attend a citizenship ceremony in their local council area. You may not request to attend a ceremony in any other council.


You should notify your local council if you are unable to attend the ceremony allocated to you. In most cases you will be invited to a subsequent ceremony. You will receive an invitation by mail approximately 2 – 4 weeks before the date of your ceremony. Please be aware that if you do not attend a ceremony and make a Pledge of Commitment within 12 months of the date your citizenship application was approved, the approval of your application may be cancelled.


Citizenship ceremonies are traditionally public ceremonial occasions which provide an important opportunity to formally welcome new citizens. The Department encourages applicants to attend public ceremonies, however in an emergency situation, the Department may agree to conduct an urgent citizenship ceremony. If you believe your circumstances warrant consideration by the Department for an emergency citizenship ceremony, you must make the request in writing by completing the attached request form. Please mail, email or fax the form to the Department and you must include supporting documentary evidence or it will not be considered. You will only be contacted by the Department if your request for an urgent ceremony is approved.


If you wish to travel before your citizenship ceremony has been allocated to you, you must travel on your previous passport and permanent resident visa. If either of these has expired, you must get them renewed. You will not be given an emergency ceremony on the basis of an expired passport or visa under any circumstances.

Please be aware that you should never pay for travel arrangements before having a valid passport and visa in your possession. The Department of Immigration and Citizenship accepts no responsibility if you do so, nor will we expedite your ceremony because you have fixed travel dates.


It is important that you notify the Department if your contact details have changed. If you have emailed us your updated contact details using an email address that you have already provided to the Department (for example on your citizenship application form) then we will update your contact details. Alternatively you can update your contact details by calling 131 880 or completing and submitting Form 929: Change of address and/or passport details.

General information regarding ceremonies can be found on the Department’s website or contact Dannielle Hill(Executive Officer) at the Shire of Carnarvon on 99410050.