Building Information Library

Free Access to National Construction Code (NCC)

The National Construction Code (NCC) provides the minimum necessary requirements for safety, health, amenity and sustainability in the design and construction of new buildings (and new building work in existing buildings) throughout Australia.

 The NCC comprises the Building Code of Australia (BCA), Volume One and Two; and the Plumbing Code of Australia (PCA), as Volume Three. 

  • Volume One: pertains primarily to Class 2 to 9 buildings which are commercial, industrial and multi-residential buildings.
  • Volume Two: pertains primarily to Class 1 and 10 buildings which are houses, sheds and carports.
  • Volume Three: pertains primarily to plumbing and drainage associated with all classes of buildings.

 Visit the Australian Building Codes Board (ABCB) website online/NCC?pageNumber=1&searchTerm=&sort=&results=&generalParam={%22applications%22:[],%22years%22:[%22{C4166DCC-D939-41A9-855D-D66F2AACC2D3}%22]}   

to access the free NCC 2015.

 Besides, The ABCB has launched some You Tube clips that provide an overview on the National Construction Code, visit the ABCB’s Playlist for more information.

Dividing Fence

A dividing fence separates the residential land of different owners whether the fence is on the common boundary of adjoining lands or on a line other than the common boundary. A dividing fence does not include a retaining wall.

The erection and maintenance of dividing fences on the boundary are a matter between neighbour and as such are dealt with by the Dividing Fences Act 1961 which is administered by the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety - Building Commission. Please visit the Building Commission web site for more information on dividing fences,

An online booklet “Dividing fences – a guide” can be downloaded from the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety -  Building Commission website.

A Building Permit may be required for the construction for dividing fence and front fence. Please refer to the Residential Fence Information and Checklist and the Shires Local Planning Policy on Dividing Fences (NEED TO CHECK IF WE HAVE ONE AND AMEND ACCORDINGLY)

Other fencing requirements are outlined in the Shire’s Dividing Fences Local Planning Policy (NEED TO CHECK IF WE HAVE ONE AND AMEND ACCORDINGLY)

Smoke Alarm

The Building Regulations 2012 (the Regulations) require the owner of a dwelling to have compliant smoke alarms installed prior to the transfer of ownership; where a dwelling is rented under a residential tenancy agreement or made available for such rental; and where a dwelling is made available for hire.

Please visit the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety website for more information on Smoke Alarm laws and Smoke Alarm laws publication

For more information contact the Shire of Carnarvon on (08) 9941 0000 or email