Food Safety

Food Safety

EHO’s conduct regular inspections of all food premises in the Shire. There are strict laws relating to food hygiene and safety under the Health Act with future changes to incorporate a national legislation, the Australian Food Standards Code. Food transport vehicles are also inspected. The Shire of Carnarvon supports and promotes the FoodSafe Food Handler Training Program. If you are a new food business you will need a food business registration to legally be able to trade. Once completed you will need to submit it to the Shire along with the appropriate fee.

It is also a requirement that all food handlers have a sound knowledge of food safety. For a free food safety training program, please visit On completion you will receive a recognised certificate to display in your registered food business.

Stall Holders Licence

If you are wanting to hold a stall the Saturday Courtyard Markets at the Civic Centre, IGA markets on Sundays mornings or any other market in the Shire of Carnarvon you must apply for a Hawkers/Traders/Stall Holders Licence. Once completed, submit to the Shire with the appropriate fee as well as evidence of $10 million Personal Liability Insurance Cover.

Temporary Food Stall

Additionally, if you would like to sell food at your stall you must have a certified food business registration. To register your food business you will need to complete the   Food Business Registration Form and return it to the Shire. After your food business has been approved. You must complete an application for a temporary food stall.  

Infectious Diseases

EHO’s investigate all instances of diseases that are classed as ‘Notifiable Diseases’ under the Health Act. These include Hepatitis, Salmonella, Campylobacter and Legionnaires Disease. All cases are referred to the Health Department of WA after notification by general practitioners.