Development Approval

Development approval is a legal document that allows for a use of a development on a particular piece of land. Development approval is required to ensure that any use or development of land within the Shire complies with the Schemes, Residential Design Codes, Policies and other relevant legislation.

Applicants can discuss preliminary plans and proposals with the Shire’s Planning Officers for more information on the process. Planning Officers can advise on applications and the information required to complete an application.

Development approval is required for most works and changing uses of a site. This can include:

  • Building a single house, grouped dwellings or multiple dwellings.
  • Extension or alteration of buildings (including sheds, patios, garages and carports)
  • Replacement of an existing structure.
  • Conducting a business from home.

Please see the link to the Development Application from below

Hawkers and Traders Stall Holders Licence

You will require a licence or a permit if you intend to trade goods or services in a public places. Public places include any properties owned by the Council, as well as any place that the public have a right of access, such as streets, thoroughfares and parks. 

There are three types of public trading activities:

  • Street trader - offering goods (for sale or hire) or services in a public place
  • Stallholder - displaying goods (for sale or hire) or offering services from a movable or temporary structure, stand or table
  • Hawker - going from place to place, whether or not they are public places, and offering goods (for sale or hire) or services.

See link to the Hawkers and Traders Stall Holders Licence below.  For more information please speak with one of our Town Planners.

If your planning on selling or handling food you may need a Food Business Registration with our Environmental Health Office at the Shire of Carnarvon

 Application for Development Approval

The form for development application P01A(PDF, 217KB)

Hawkers and Traders Stall holders licence application form(PDF, 190KB)

For further information contact the Shire of Carnarvon Town Planners on 9941 000