Development Approval

Development approval is a legal document that allows for a use of a development on a particular piece of land. Development approval is required to ensure that any use or development of land within the Shire complies with the Schemes, Residential Design Codes, Policies and other relevant legislation.

Applicants can discuss preliminary plans and proposals with the Shire’s Planning Officers for more information on the process. Planning Officers can advise on applications and the information required to complete an application.

Development approval is required for most works and changing uses of a site. This can include:

  • Building a single house, grouped dwellings or multiple dwellings.
  • Extension or alteration of buildings (including sheds, patios, garages and carports)
  • Replacement of an existing structure.
  • Conducting a business from home.

Please click here for the Development Application Form(PDF, 216KB)

Hawkers and Traders Stall Holders Licence

Under the Shire of Carnarvon Local Laws, a licence or permit is required to trade goods or services in public places, within the local government area. 

Public places include any properties owned by the Council, as well as any place that the public have a right of access, such as streets, thoroughfares and carparks.

There are several types of public trading activities:

  • Hawker - going from place to place, whether or not they are public places, and offering goods (for sale or hire) or services.
  • Stallholder - displaying goods (for sale or hire) or offering services from a movable or temporary structure, stand or table
  • Street Trader - offering goods (for sale or hire) or services in a public place.
  • Mobile trader – offering goods (for sale or hire) or services from a vehicle, in a public place.

To apply for a mobile trading licence please see mobile trading application form link(PDF, 395KB).

For all other hawker, trader or stallholder applications please see link to Hawkers, Traders and Stall holders licence application form(PDF, 190KB).

Licence applications are assessed against provisions within the local laws and are also subject to any associated policy, such as the Shire’s Mobile Trading Policy.  See link to the Shire of Carnarvon Mobile Trading Policy.

For more information please speak with one of our Town Planners on 9941 0000 follow prompt to Development Services

 Note: A Food Business Registration may be required for the selling or handling of food. Contact one of our Environmental Health.  For more information of Food Business Registration please click here.