The Shire of Carnarvon receives regular enquiries regarding swimming pools and spas. We have populated the most frequently asked questions. If you cannot find the answer to your query. Please contact us at (08) 9941 0000. 

Why do I need a compulsory pool/spa inspection?

The Shire is bound by its legislative requirements and must conduct periodic inspections of the safety barrier installed around pools and spas and its immediate surrounds.

Why am I charged a fee on my rates notice?

The Shire is bound by its legislative requirements to conduct periodic inspections of pool and spa barriers and charges a fee on the land owners rate notices each financial year. The fee is the estimated cost to the Shire of carrying out inspections in the financial year.

I’ve removed my pool, why are you still charging me a fee?

The Shire requires notification from the pool owner if they have removed their pool. Please call (08) 9941 0000 or email the Building Services advising the location and date of removal. Confirmation of the removal will be required prior to removing the pool from the register. 

There is no water in my pool and I’m not planning on refilling it, why are you still charging me a fee?

Until the pool has been decommissioned or made so that the pool cannot hold water and has been inspected by an authorised officer the fee will continue to be charged. Please call (08) 9941 0000 or email Building Services for further information. 

I don’t have little kids living at my property, do I still need to comply?

Yes. The rules and regulations are to protect all children.

I only put an inflatable pool up during summer, do I still need a Building Permit and an inspection?

Yes. Irrespective of whether a pool is above ground, below ground, portable or inflatable, if it contains water more than 300mm deep, a Building Permit approving a compliant barrier must be received prior to installing and filling the pool with water. 

Why do some pools have access from the house directly into the pool area?

A concession exists for swimming pools and spas that were constructed, installed or approved prior to 5 November 2001. In this instance, the barrier may include a wall that contains a door, providing that door complies with the Standard.

Can I use a lock to permanently close off my gate, door or window?

No. Key locking mechanisms such as deadlocks or padlocks are not compliant. A device that limits or permanently secures these parts of the barrier will require the use of a tool to remove them. Such tools may include allen keys, pliers, spanners and screwdrivers.

I have a lockable cover on my spa, is this acceptable?

No. Placing a cover over a swimming pool or spa does not meet the barrier requirements under the Regulations. When the cover is off there is no barrier. Your statutory obligations are to provide a compliant barrier to restrict access always.

What happens if I don’t comply with the regulations?

You are committing an offence and are liable to a maximum fine of $5,000 if found guilty. The Shire will commence legal proceedings if a pool or spa owner chooses not to comply with regulations.

I’m just a tenant, am I still responsible for the barrier?

Yes. Please contact the Department of Mines Industry Regulation and Safety regarding your responsibilities.

I just bought a second-hand spa, do I need a fence around it?

Yes. All spas, whether they are new or second-hand, require a Building Permit from the Shire and a compliant barrier restricting access. 

I think my neighbour has a spa with no safety barrier, I’m concerned but what can I do?

Any concerns should be directed to the Shire immediately. Please call (08) 9941 000 or email the Shire so concerns can be investigated.