Pursuant the Control of Vehicles (Off Road Areas) Act 1978 it is an offence to drive or ride an off-road vehicle within the Shire of Carnarvon, unless it is an approved gazetted area or used on private land with the owner’s consent.

Off-road vehicles include trail bikes, two and four wheeled motor bikes, go-carts and buggies.

The Shire of Carnarvon and the WA Police take the riding/driving of off-road vehicles in non-permitted areas seriously and may seize the vehicle, prosecute or issue infringements.

All off-road vehicles used in areas covered by the Act, other than on private land with consent of the owner, must be registered through the Department of Transport off road licensing.


Council Rangers, WA Police and other authorised officers can issue infringement notices. Offenders who use off-road vehicle vehicles in non-permitted areas could have their vehicle seized and impounded for up to 12 months and face a $1000 fine.

Offence Penalty Maximum
Drive/ride an off-road vehicle in a non-permitted area $50 $500
Any motor vehicle (other than road registered) must be off-road registered $50 $200
Failure to wear a protective helmet $50 $800

There are limitations to where road-registered vehicles including four-wheel-drives and road/trail bikes are taken.  Drainage reserves, levy banks and parks are strictly off-limits. Contact Ranger Services on (08) 9941 0019 or Customer Service (08) 9941 0000 for further information.

Report illegal off-road vehicle use 

Off-road vehicle use is only permitted on private property with consent or in a permitted area within the Shire of Carnarvon.

If you see someone in an area not permitted please contact the appropriate authority with as much information as possible, including:

  • Registration details
  • Description of the motorbike or vehicle and
  • Day, time and location.

For off-road vehicles that are driven/ridden on the road or road verge contact the WA Police at (08) 9941 7333 or 13 14 44.

For all other areas contact the Shire of Carnarvon, Ranger Services on (08) 9941 0019 or Customer Service (08) 9941 0000.