The Shire of Carnarvon receives regular enquiries regarding cats. We have populated the most frequently asked questions. If you cannot find the answer to your query. Please contact us at (08) 9941 0000 or complete the enquiry form below. 

Do I need to register my cat?

Yes.  All cats are to be registered and are to always wear the registration tag, as prescribed under the Cat Act 2011, Cat Regulations 2012 and the Shire of Carnarvon Cat Local Law. 

How do I register my cat?

Accordion Item 2 Content

How much are the fees to register my cat?

Annual registration 


Three years registration        


Lifetime registration 


Registrations fees are legislated and not set by the Shire of Carnarvon. 

Can I breed my cat?

Yes, if you have approval. Approval must obtain an application for approval to breed cats and it is $100.00 per cat, per annum. 

How many cats can I have on one residential property?

The maximum is 3 and each cat must be registered. 

What are the conditions for cat registrations? 

Under the Cat Act 2011, Cat Regulations 2012 and the Shire of Carnarvon Cat Local Law The zoning of the land is under the local planning scheme. 

  • The physical suitability of the premises for the proposed use; 
  • The environmental sensitivity and general nature of the location surrounding the premises for the proposed use; 
  • The structural suitability of any enclosure in which any cat is to be kept; 
  • The likelihood of a cat causing a nuisance, inconvenience or annoyance to an occupier of adjoining land; 
  • The likely effect on the amenity of the surrounding area of the proposed use; 
  • The likely effect on the local environment including any pollution or other environmental damage, which may be caused by the proposed use; 
  • And any other factors which the local government considers to be relevant in the circumstances of the application. Approval is to be in the form determined by the local government and is to be issued to the approved person. 

Cat enquiry form 

Accordion Item 1 Content