What is wildlife?

Wildlife includes all wild animals that have not been or cannot be tamed and are the native fauna of a region. Shire of Carnarvon Rangers deal with issues pertaining to domestic animals and have very limited involvement with wildlife. Injured wildlife will typically fall under the jurisdiction of the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions.   

What do I do if I see an injured or dead animal on the side of the road?

If you see an injured animal, please do not approach it especially if it is an animal that may harm you or carry potential diseases. If, however, you believe the animal is safe to approach, cover the animal with either a towel or a blanket and contain it in a box or tub with ventilation in your car. You can then transport the animal to the nearest vet or wildlife rehabilitation centre.

It is encouraged to safely move deceased animals away from oncoming traffic, as the dead animals will then become food for other animals which could also cause more traffic hazards. Please ensure you’re wearing appropriate clothing and/or protection as the deceased animals you are handling could be carrying transmittable diseases. 

Who can I contact for advice regarding wildlife that may be injured, sick, orphaned, abandoned or abused by members of the community?

  • SAFE Carnarvon: 0448 569 563
  • Native ARC: 9417 7105
  • Wildcare Helpline: 9474 9055
  • Report Cruelty: 1300 278 358  
  • Department of Parks and Wildlife: 9842 4500   
  • Department of Fisheries: 9956 3333       
  • Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions: 9941 3754 

Can I cull native wildlife?

No, it is illegal to cull native wildlife. A person can face a penalty for illegally killing a protected species. Licenses to cull native wildlife such as kangaroos are required and can be obtained from the Department of Parks and Wildlife. 

Can I cull feral and pest animals?

The hunting of feral and pest animals is limited to only private property, you must have obtained written permission from the property owner.  Culling of feral animals is managed by the Department of Primary Industries and the Department of Parks and Wildlife. 

Feral and pest species include rabbits, hares, foxes, pigs, wild hogs, goats, camels, donkeys, wild horses and wild cattle. 

What do I do if find stranded, sick or injured marine animals?

If you find any stranded, sick or injured marine animals please call the Department of Parks and Wildlife’s 24-hour Wildcare Helpline on 9474 9055.

It is recommended that you do not approach the marine animal unless it is necessary, to ensure that you do not stress the animal and cause any unnecessary harm.