The amount you pay in rates (i.e. general land rates) each year is based on the valuation applied to the property. The property’s valuation is determined by the Valuer General who is responsible for ensuring valuations remain as accurate as possible. 

The basis of valuation is Gross Rental Value (GRV). The GRV is an estimate of the rent a property could earn in a year. GRVs (Gross Rental Values) (Gross Rental Value) is reassessed every five to six years with 2019/20 being a revaluation year. It is to be noted that the GRV revaluations are based on the property market as of August 1, 2018.  Based on the GRV valuation and the rate in the dollar (determined by Council when adopting its annual budget) general land rates are calculated, and an Annual Rate Notice is generated and mailed to you. You will receive your rates notice in August of each year. More detailed information about property valuations is available from Landgate.

What can I do if I wish to lodge an objection to my property's GRV valuation? 

The Valuer General revalue all properties within the Shire townsite once every five to six years. 2023/24 is our next revaluation year. 

Under the Valuation of Land Act, you have the right to object to the value that is used to determine your rates and taxes.  For more information regarding land valuations, we refer you to Landgate - Valuations for rating-and-taxing online information service. 

Prior to lodging a formal objection your property valuation can be discussed with Landgate’s Analytical Property Team by phoning (08) 9273 7373 or emailing vs@landgate.wa.gov.au. Many issues can be resolved without the need to lodge a formal objection. 
Objections can be lodged with the Valuer General’s Office (not the Shire of Carnarvon) by mail to PO Box 2222, Midland WA 6936 within 60 days of the issue of your rate notice. You can download the objection form by clicking on the link Landgate - Lodging an Objection 
Objections should be made in writing and must include: the full address of your property, the local government in which your property is located, the valuation to which the objection relates, and the detailed reasons and evidence in support of the grounds for the objection. 
The objection form must be lodged within 60 days of the issue of your annual rate notice or interim notice.  
Rates must be paid as assessed irrespective of whether you have lodged an objection. If the valuation is amended, then a refund will be issued accordingly. 

How do I lodge an appeal against information contained in the Shire rates book in relation to my property? 

Objections to the Rate Book must be made in writing to the Shire within 42 days of the date of issue of a Rates Notice. The grounds on which objections may be made are outlined in section 6.76 of the Local Government Act 1995.  The Local Government Act 1995 sets out the way persons may object or appeal against the Rate Book as it relates to their own Rate Notice. 
Service charges may include rubbish collection, swimming pool inspection fee or special payment administration fee.

Rates must be paid as assessed irrespective of whether an appeal has been lodged with the Shire of Carnarvon.